Re: Auto-indent new lines?

From: Gurucharan
Subject: Re: Auto-indent new lines?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 13:53:45 +0530

Hello Mark,
           Jesper is absolutely right. I mean to say that an entire community of GNU-EMACS
guys cannot be wrong, right ? In fact, emacs is the most popular editor as I know.
perhaps you should slow down a little bit, and make an effort to
think. This mailing list is called help-gnu-emacs, not
whine-bitch-gnu-emacs. Ask yourself this question: "These people who
help me, for free, is it probable that they signed up to this list to
hear newcomers tell them what a piece of sh*t emacs is?"

I don't know much about the point-and-grunt Windows world you seem to
find ideal, but perhaps being an asshole is the best way getting help
there. On this list as in the Unix world in general, it's usually not.

Windows is almost an operating system. It has been proved over and over again. It is
another bad way of copying from the source[UNIX].
Now, people have told you about the hungry-state in c-mode. This works
perfectly for me in C, C++ and Java (i.e. files ending in .c .cc or
.java). If anything, it does too much rather than too little. This
would suggest you're doing something wrong. Perhaps you could provide
the list with some details of what you've tried so far, and someone
might be able to help you.

You could also try this hack:

;; Switch RET and LF. Makes <return> indent
(defvar tmp (global-key-binding "\C-m"))
(global-set-key "\C-m" (global-key-binding "\C-j"))
(global-set-key "\C-j" tmp)

Put it in you .emacs file in your home directory. Tell us how you did
it and what happened.

If the people who told you that emacs is the world's greatest editor
also told you that it's the easiest to configure, they lied. It
requires some patience, and a willingness to learn. Maybe you could
see if you have a little bit of these traits.

Yes. Nothing comes for free !

> Doesn't anybody write code in Emacs?  What should I use instead then?

Please think logically.

Why don't you try Vi? I've heard it's very popular.
Yes. But you cannot do many things that we can do in emacs. We can also have a
play-list of mp3 files and play them in one buffer so that we can work in another buffer !!!

Best Regards,
             gurucharan