emacs and daylight savings time.

From: Kenneth E. Fisler
Subject: emacs and daylight savings time.
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 09:28:09 -0400

Running:

     emacs v.20.3.1 (i386-*-nt4.0)
     on MS95

to get the correct time I use something like

(format-time-string "%-I:%M %p %Z = %z")

but it returns the wrong time (just since the change to daylight savings), e.g.:

8:26 AM EST = -0500

when it should return

9:26 AM EDT = -0400

I put the following in my C:\.emacs:

(setq TZ "EST5EDT")

(setq calendar-time-zone -300)
(setq calendar-standard-time-zone-name "EST")
(setq calendar-daylight-time-zone-name "EDT")

;(setq year '2001)

; Daylight Savings Time starts on the first Sunday in April
;calendar-daylight-savings-starts's value is
(setq calendar-daylight-savings-starts '(calendar-nth-named-day 1 0 4 year))

but it changed nothing.  The documentation (FAQs, info pages, etc.) doesn't
give any more information, so I'm turning to you guys.  HELP!!!

tia,
kf