Re: emacs and daylight savings time.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs and daylight savings time.
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 16:00:53 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Kenneth E. Fisler wrote:

> Running:
>
>      emacs v.20.3.1 (i386-*-nt4.0)
>      on MS95
>
> to get the correct time I use something like
>
> (format-time-string "%-I:%M %p %Z = %z")
>
> but it returns the wrong time (just since the change to daylight savings),
> e.g.:
>

> 8:26 AM EST = -0500
>
> when it should return
>
> 9:26 AM EDT = -0400

This is a Windows bug which will disappear in a few days.  See:

  http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/headlines/2001.asp

> I put the following in my C:\.emacs:
>
> (setq TZ "EST5EDT")

It should be (setenv "TZ" "EST5EDT").  But that won't help, as the
problem is in the Windows function which computes the date when the DST
becomes in effect.  Try setting your timezone to something like GMT-4
instead, maybe it will help.  Or just wait until the next Sunday.

(The _really_ outrageous thing is that MS knows about this since 1999.)