Re: ALT key

From: Walter Moreira
Subject: Re: ALT key
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 16:54:40 -0300

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 09:05:37PM -0600, Eng. Manuel A. Camacho Q. wrote:
> Rodrigo Alexandre Ribeiro Canellas wrote:
> >
> > HI!!
> >
> > I have a ALT key in my keyboard, but emacs is using ESC key as Meta.
> > How can I force emacs to use ALT as the Meta?
> >
> > TIA!
>
> Try a "Happy Hacking Keyboard". Works great with Emacs. I just love
> mine.

That is, perhaps, the best solution. All this windozes keyboards... :-(

Anyway, I have the following lines which are passed to xmodmap when logging
in:

clear mod1
clear mod4
add mod1 = Meta_L Meta_R
add mod4 = Alt_L Alt_R
keysym Alt_L = Alt_L Meta_L

Then, you can use ALT as META in emacs and use the windozes flag to switch
windows.

Hope it helps.
                -- Walter

--
Walter Moreira  <> Centro de Matematica  <> Universidad de la Republica
                 |   friends are.                         -- Kyle Hearn
               --+--