Re: inserting files multiple times

From: Jim McCloskey
Subject: Re: inserting files multiple times
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 12:00:16 -0700

"Dennis P. Wall" <dpwall@socrates.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

|> does anyone know of a way to conduct a query-replace in which the
|> replacement item is the content of another file?

Well, it's a horrible kludge, but .... you can insert the contents of
the file into a register (call it `n') with Ctl-x x n, then do M-x
query-replace.  When you're promted for the replacement string, you
can insert the contents of the register into the minibuffer with
Ctl-x g n.

I don't know what, if any, the size-limits are for registers (or for
the minibuffer), but if such limitations aren't an issue, this works,
I believe. Not exactly elegant though ....

Jim