Re: Syntax Highlighting variables

From: Marco Baringer
Subject: Re: Syntax Highlighting variables
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:43:08 +0200

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 03:54:33PM -0400, Dan Cardamore wrote:
> How can I get emacs to fontify my variables in color after they're
> defined.
>
> For example in C++:
>
> int a;   // a is green which is what I want
> a = 1;   // a is plain white now just like normal text (I want green
>          //     again)
>

> Or in Perl:
>
> my $var;   # $var is green
> $var = 1;  # $var is white again.
>

> I already have font-lock-maximum-decoration set to true.
>
> Thanks for any help,

I don't think emacs does this of it's own accord, fontifying is done
using regexps, a regexp is assigned to font-face. What you'd have to
do is create a hash table and keep variable names in that. as is often
my case, i know what needs to be done, but have no idea as to how to
do it? would this function be assigned to the ' ' or ';' or ','
characters? then what happens when you remove the definition of a
variable name, you'd have to make sure to remove that entry in the
hash table.

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.