rmail-output

From: Jim McCloskey
Subject: rmail-output
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:24:55 -0700

I just upgraded a box from Debian GNU/Linux stable to testing. I'm now
getting this error (GNU emacs 20.7.2) when I call the function
'rmail-output in the RMAIL environment:

  Autoloading failed to define function rmail-output

Calling the function by name and by way of its key-binding (Ctl-o)
produce the same effect. It's available as an option in the menubar
(under Classify) but calling it from the menu produces the same error.

`rmail-output' is defined in rmail.el.  In earlier versions of emacs,
it was autoloaded in rmail.el by way of:

 (autoload 'rmail-output "rmailout"
   "Append this message to Unix mail file named FILE-NAME."
   t)

I can't find any comparable elisp in the current rmail.el, although
that file does contain the key-binding and the menu-definition for
'rmail-output. I don't think I understand how autoloading is supposed
to work in the newer version, but the help messages suggest that
'rmail-output is supposed to be autoloaded by rmail.el in newer
versions also.

I can make the function available again by explicitly loading
rmailout.elc, but I've never had to do that before.

Does anyone know what gives?

Jim