Re: Emacs in KDE2.1

From: Fernando Dobladez
Subject: Re: Emacs in KDE2.1
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 10:13:26 -0700 (PDT)

> I hope somebody can help me. When ever I run emacs in
> KDE the area behind the text turns white, no matter
> what the background color is. This happens only in
> KDE2.1 and not in gnome,windowmaker etc.

In KDE, go to Preferences/Look&Feel/Style, there's a checkbox that says "apply
fonts and colors to
non-KDE apps"
If you uncheck that, it should not interfere with your Emacs (you may need to
re-start KDE).

But, if you want to keep that feature turned on without interfering with your
Emacs, modify the
file Emacs.ad (search in /usr/share/apps/kdisplay/app-defaults/Emacs.ad).
That's where you tell
KDE how to set the Xresources to the Emacs application.

I have the following lines commented out so that they don't change my Emacs
colors:
----
!Emacs.default.attributeForeground:    WINDOW_FOREGROUND
!Emacs.default.attributeBackground:    WINDOW_BACKGROUND
!Emacs*Foreground:          WINDOW_FOREGROUND
!Emacs*Background:          WINDOW_BACKGROUND
;Emacs*font:                FIXED_FONT
-----

In this way, KDE still changes the colors/fonts of other applications AND also
some things in
Emacs (like the Menubar for example, which matches the KDE-menus colors/font).

Good luck!

Fernando//