editing files with embedded escape characters

From: Andy Young
Subject: editing files with embedded escape characters
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:58:12 -0700

I have a C program file with several escape characters embedded in strings that
are sent to a printer (PCL control codes.)  When I edit the file with emacs it displays
most all the characters after an encountered escape using boxes.  Strangely, its
not the first encountered escape sequence that triggers this behavior.  Additionally,
there is a "J" in the mode line when I edit this file:
[ hand typed]

Also, if I save the file from emacs, the result is a file with a mess.  I suspect
there is a mode, coding system, or language environment that I can set so as to
stop this behavior, but I've not yet discovered it.  Any help?

Thanks,
Andy