Re: Where can I find a X-windows nt-emacs binary version?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Where can I find a X-windows nt-emacs binary version?
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 17:19:35 +0300

> From: "Nicolas Brouard" <brouard@ined.fr>
>
> >You can't, sorry: GNU Emacs cannot be built with Cygwin and X support.
>
> I know that there are some versions of X-emacs who do it

XEmacs can indeed be built with Cygwin, but NTEmacs cannot.  NTEmacs
is a native Windows program, and it includes a significant amount of
non-trivial code meant to make it a good Windows citizen, interface
with other Windows programs, etc.  Compiling with Cygwin would mean
that most of these features are lost, because Cygwin compiles the Unix
code, not the Windows code.  Since we don't want to lose the Windows
compatibility, some non-trivial work is required to be able to build a
Cygwin port that supports some of the Windows-specific features.

> Did anyone try to make the config by adapting it from Linux.

AFAIK, it was tried, but turned out to be non-trivial.