Re: Making scroll bar clearer (Emacs 21)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Making scroll bar clearer (Emacs 21)
Date: 20 Sep 2001 17:59:34 +0900

Richard Walker <Richard.Walker@cs.anu.edu.au> writes:
> I'm using the new toolkit scroll bars in glorious `grey75'.
> Unfortunately, it's really difficult to see what's going on in the
> scroll bar without looking at it carefully.  It seems that changing
> the `foreground' setting in the scroll-bar face has no effect.  Is
> this deliberate?  Is there a way to get the Emacs 20 version of scroll
> bars, where the bit that moves is one colour and the `background' is
> another colour?

Assuming you're using the `xaw3d' scrollbars, it's basically a
short-coming of that library -- it always makes the thumb the same color
as the background, with only the `beveled' edge of the thumb to
distinguish them.

I'm not sure there's much that can be done about this; I submitted a bug
report about this via the debian BRS a long time ago, but I sincerely
doubt any of the real authors ever saw it...

-Miles
--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.