Problem reading ~/.emacs on HPUX11

From: Struewing Bob-CBS003
Subject: Problem reading ~/.emacs on HPUX11
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:49:14 -0500

I recently installed emacs 19.31.1 on a system running HPUX 11.11.  I am having
a problem
where emacs will not read my ~/.emacs file automatically on startup.  Other
than this
problem, the editor seems to be working fine.  In addition, if I run   emacs -l
~/.emacs
everything works fine, which is my current work-around.   I have verified that
$HOME
is set correctly and my ~/.emacs file has the correct permissions and is
accessible
from the 11.11 system.

I have been running this version of emacs on an HPUX 10.20 system which shares
a common home
directory with the HPUX 11.11 system, and it works fine.  Because of this I do
not believe the
problem is with my personal environment.  In addition, I copied the emacs
software from the
10.20 system (which works fine) to the 11.11 system and it still fails, so the
problem does not
appear to be the emacs software.   The only variable left is the version of
HPUX (10.20 vs.
11.11).

Has anyone else seen this problem.