Please help: Cut & Paste between Emacs & other apps

From: platter
Subject: Please help: Cut & Paste between Emacs & other apps
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 16:29:47 -0600

Hello all,

Will someone please tell me how to get cut and paste working between Emacs and
other applications?  I am using emacs 21.1 on Linux 2.4.2-2 with Gnome.
Copying and pasting between emacs and other applications such only works maybe
1 out of 5 times.  Is there some kind of problem with simply having emacs
linked to the clipboard so that it can be used like any other normal
application?

For example:  I am reading my mail in emacs, and I want to paste a URL into
Netscape.  I do the normal 'M-w' on the region containing the URL, go to
netscape, and do "paste" and some source code from who knows where gets pasted
in there!

Is there a way to get emacs up to speed with the rest of the computing universe
with regard to cut-and-paste?  If anyone can help with this, please respond; it
would be much appreciated because it's driving me nuts having to fire up gedit
every time I want to transfer some text between an emacs buffer and some other
app.

Thanks,

John