Tramp in Emacs 21?

From: Tom Roche
Subject: Tramp in Emacs 21?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:39:23 -0500

Kai Großjohann Sun, 11 Nov 2001 17:34:51 +0100

Skip Montanaro <montanaro@tttech.com> Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:50:47 +0100
> I think getting the Emacs and XEmacs folks to distribute Tramp would
> be a good thing, for a few reasons:

> * more widespread usage - lots of people use ssh these days -
>   efs/ange-ftp just doesn't cut it <snip>

> * many more eyeballs on the code <snip>

> * better integration with other editor features <snip>

I agree with all, and agree with the Gnus model (gotta set that up one
of these days). But also, I believe the emacs communities will benefit
by having better support for remote resources. I would like to see
emacs become "the multiplatform editor" not only because it runs on so
many platforms (which it does now--FWIW IIRC the mac-emacs folks had
21 binaries up before the win32 folks), but by becoming able to
function (though presumably not _perform_) equally well with both
local and remote filesystems. It annoys me, e.g., that emacs assumes
that I can't symlink files when I'm running on win32, since I can
either via tramp or AFS.

I also believe that emacs should treat FTP (or SFTP) as only one
remote-file-access method among many, rather than having the
relatively privileged status it now enjoys.

YMMV, Tom_Roche@ncsu.edu