Re: Tramp in Emacs 21?

From: Tom Roche
Subject: Re: Tramp in Emacs 21?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:17:46 -0500 (EST)

Kai Großjohann Sun, 11 Nov 2001 17:34:51 +0100

Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@ncsu.edu> Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:39:23 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il> Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:58:22 +0200
> Would you care to step forward and volunteer to work on this?

Sure. However please note that my emacs chops are presently pretty
weak, but I'm willing to do what I can. Note however that

* you will get much more added value from the assistance of Herr
  Großjohann :-)

* I don't believe that making emacs more capable of using remote
  filesystems should be viewed as a "Windows specific feature."
  Granted, win32 is currently the most prominent among emacs platforms
  with less-capable native filesystems, but I suspect that there are,
  and will be (e.g. various handhelds), others.

  IMHO the problem should be viewed not as platform-specific (i.e.
  "win32 is broken") but as drive-, mount-, or filesystem-specific
  (i.e. "the filesystem at //path/to/server/volume/ can't do
  symlinks"). Thanks to tramp, emacs can work on filesystems
  quite different from those native to the platform on which it
  happens to be running.

FWIW, Tom_Roche@ncsu.edu