Re: UTF-8 support for Japanese

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: UTF-8 support for Japanese
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 18:29:03 +0200

> From: David Kuehling <dvdkhlng@gmx.de>
> Date: 16 Feb 2002 12:42:46 +0100
>
> GNU Emacs 21.1 does not have support for encoding japanese characters as
> UTF-8. This is very annoying, since texts containing japanese characters
> and german umlauts can only be saved as iso-2022-jp-2 and emacs-mule,
> which are not supported by most other programs.
>
> Has any work been done on japanese UTF-8 yet? If yes, where can I get
> the code?  If not, would anybody mind if I tried to work on that
> subject?

It's not possible to add Japanese support to Emacs 21.x before Emacs
switches to Unicode-based internal representation of characters.  The
reason is that there simply isn't enough free slots for character
sets in Emacs left for this.  Sorry.

> Could be done quite simply by using glibc's iconv tables.

Conversion is not the problem, and iconv cannot be used in the
current Emacs code base anyway.