RE: printing format (more specific!)

From: Bingham, Jay
Subject: RE: printing format (more specific!)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 14:30:46 -0500

Ha,

You have confirmed what I suspected.
The menu item that you are using invokes the function print-buffer.  This
function was designed to print documents that contained no formatting to form
feed printers.  So rather than just print your document it attempts to paginate
it and probably to add a header to the page as well.  Here is what the function
description says:

Paginate and print buffer contents.

The variable `lpr-headers-switches' controls how to paginate.
If it is nil (the default), we run the `pr' program (or whatever program
`lpr-page-header-program' specifies) to paginate.
`lpr-page-header-switches' specifies the switches for that program.

Otherwise, the switches in `lpr-headers-switches' are used
in the print command itself; we expect them to request pagination.

See the variables `lpr-switches' and `lpr-command'
for further customization of the printer command.

If your document already has form feeds in it then what you describe will
happen because print-buffer will add another one where it thinks it should.
Personally I do not use print-buffer for that very reason.  I use
ps-print-buffer (postscript) because I have printers that understand postscript
here at work.
Hope this helps.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Enterprise Division - Software Product Assurance
.    Office: 2166                Phone: 8945
. Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
. Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.          -Dr. George W. Crane-