Re: Setting default fonts

From: Chuck Siska
Subject: Re: Setting default fonts
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:56:46 -0700

chuck --

to see all the available fonts, first select a buffer into which
you don't mind entering text (e.g., the *scratch* buffer).  now
enter the following lisp expression in that buffer:

(insert (prin1-to-string (x-list-fonts "*")))

place the text cursor at the end of this lisp expression and type
M-x eval-print-last-sexp.

you should see a parenthesized list like the following appear immediately
after that lisp expression.  each entry, in double-qoutes, is a
font description.  (note, i've shortened my output list, here,
from my own 880 entries to just the two shown.

("-*-Mini Pics Red Rock-normal-r-*-*-*-*-96-96-p-*-iso8859-1" "-*-Mini Pics Lil
Vehicles-normal-r-*-*-*-*-96-96-p-*-iso8859-1")

now, i setup my initial font in emacs by executing the following
lisp expressions when i'm running emacs on mswind.  These are
executed automatically in my _emacs (or .emacs) file when emacs
starts up, but you can execute them by hand if you wish.  note,
that i've taken a liberty, here, of replacing some of the font
description elements with a "*" wildcard, but you can just use
one of the font descriptions directly.

; set font to terminal, regular, 6 point.
(setq cs-default-font "-*-Terminal-normal-r-*-*-8-60-*-*-c-*-*-oem-")

(progn
  (setq initial-frame-alist
        (append `((font . ,cs-default-font))
                initial-frame-alist))