Re: How to get a read-only prompt in emacs shell

From: Marco Baringer
Subject: Re: How to get a read-only prompt in emacs shell
Date: 14 Jun 2002 17:57:22 +0200

ruhl@4dv.net (Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>) writes:

> e.baringer@studenti.to.it (Marco Baringer) writes:
> >
> > eshell.
>
> Not too bad.  C-a doesn't make sense, though--it goes to the beginning
> of the line, not the beginning of the command-prompt (so the familiar
> C-a C-k doesn't work).  Maybe I'll take a look at it when I get a
> round tuit.

my bad, i often forget where the emacs distribution ends and where my
.emacs begins. add this to your .emacs:

(add-hook 'eshell-mode-hook '(lambda ()
                               (local-set-key (kbd "C-a")
                                              '(lambda ()
                                                 (interactive)
                                                 (beginning-of-line)
                                                 (search-forward-regexp
eshell-prompt-regexp)))))

or for shell-mode (i haven't tested this as i don't use shell-mode)

(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook '(lambda ()
                              (local-set-key (kbd "C-a")
                                             '(lambda ()
                                                (interactive)