Re: A Few Small Questions

From: Kevin Dziulko
Subject: Re: A Few Small Questions
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 08:32:01 -0400

Scott

Here is an excerpt from the GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual:

Just what parameters a frame has depends on what display mechanism it uses. Here is a table of the parameters of an X window frame:

name
The name of the frame.

left
The screen position of the left edge, in pixels.

top
The screen position of the top edge, in pixels.

height
The height of the frame contents, in pixels.

width
The width of the frame contents, in pixels.

window-id
The number of the X window for the frame.

minibuffer
Whether this frame has its own minibuffer. The value t means yes, nil means no, only means this frame is just a minibuffer, a minibuffer window (in some other frame) means the new frame uses that minibuffer.

font
The name of the font for text in the frame. This is a string.

auto-raise
Whether selecting the frame raises it (non-nil means yes).

auto-lower
Whether deselecting the frame lowers it (non-nil means yes).

vertical-scroll-bars
Whether the frame has a scroll bar for vertical scrolling (non-nil means yes).

horizontal-scroll-bars
Whether the frame has a scroll bar for horizontal scrolling (non-nil means yes). (Horizontal scroll bars are not currently implemented.)

icon-type
The type of icon to use for this frame when it is iconified. Non-nil specifies a bitmap icon, nil a text icon.

foreground-color
The color to use for the inside of a character. We use strings to designate colors; the X server defines the meaningful color names.

background-color
The color to use for the background of text.

mouse-color
The color for the mouse cursor.

cursor-color
The color for the cursor that shows point.

border-color
The color for the border of the frame.

cursor-type
The way to display the cursor. There are two legitimate values: bar and box. The value bar specifies a vertical bar between characters as the cursor. The value box specifies an ordinary black box overlaying the character after point; that is the default.

border-width
The width in pixels of the window border.

internal-border-width
The distance in pixels between text and border.

unsplittable
If non-nil, this frame's window is never split automatically.

visibility
The state of visibility of the frame. There are three possibilities: nil for invisible, t for visible, and icon for iconified. See section Visibility of Frames.

menu-bar-lines
The number of lines to allocate at the top of the frame for a menu bar. The default is zero. See section The Menu Bar.

parent-id
The X Window number of the window that should be the parent of this one. Specifying this lets you create an Emacs window inside some other application's window. (It is not certain this will be implemented; try it and see if it works.)

Sorry, don't know anything about bash.

Kevin