Re: Editing email replies

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: Editing email replies
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 16:05:10 GMT

kevin@sue.its.caltech.edu (Kevin A. Scaldeferri) writes:

> In article <wuq68vnf.fsf@bitstream.com>, Peter Davis  <pd@world.std.com>
> wrote:
>>Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai =?iso-8859-15?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)
>>writes:
>>
>>Seems likely that that's what it did.  Still, I'd like *some* way to
>>edit such messages in emacs (with MH or gnus).  I've actually had
>>people complain to me that when I reply to their messages, all the
>>formatting that they put in is lost.
>>
>>Ideas?
>
> Tell those people to shut up and stop their whining? ;-)

Well, I know I'm probably in a minority here, but I actually think
HTML e-mail is a pretty good idea.  You can get much more readable,
and more *meaningful* content with HTML.  Typographic conventions of
using boldface, italics, etc. evolved for a reason ... they improve
the readability and informativeness of text.

I agree that we're bombarded by HTML spam from users with flagrant
disregard for email etiquette, let alone typographic design.  Still
that doesn't invalidate the medium.

Sorry.  I work for a font and electronic publishing company, so this
is a favorite soapbox of mine.

-pd

--
--------