Re: override defcustom

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: override defcustom
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 15:04:18 +0200

Bruce Ingalls <bingalls@fit-zones.DELETE-THE-SPAM-BLOCK.com> writes:

> I don't have a choice; Emacs & XEmacs already use such Customize
> Variables. I am also just as certain that I don't like the defaults
> provided. Finally, I want to provide a way that nonprogrammers can set
> their own defaults; customize() provides a user friendly menu to do
> just that.

Oh, boy.  I must be really thick.  I _still_ don't understand.

Do you just want a tailored list of options, so that people who say
M-x customize-group RET emacro RET see your list of options?  -- See
the `members' argument of defgroup.

I don't think it is a good idea to write two defcustom statements for
the same variable: the second defcustom will override the docstring
of the first, and so people see the emacro docstring instead of the
Emacs docstring.  Maybe the Emacs docstring has been improved?

Maybe I should have a look at emacro to learn what you're trying to
do, from an overview perspective.  But of course, lazy guy that I am,
I wouldn't mind if you told me :-)

kai