Re: emacs (mswindows) font problem

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: emacs (mswindows) font problem
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 18:26:59 +0000 (UTC)

Jon Kvebaek <usenet@nihilum.net> writes:

> Hi - I really like the gamow font from
> http://dreamer.nitro.dk/linux/lfp/lfpfonts-win.html

> The font displays in the font menu (shit-lmouse), but if I select it I
> just get a default courier font.
>
> Any ideas?

The problem stems from the fact that Emacs always uses a Latin-1 font
to display ASCII unless you go to the trouble of making a fontset.

The font has a non-standard value for its encoding.  One way to get it
to display would be to load the font into a font editor, and change
the encoding field to ANSI (the Windows equivalent of Latin-1).

Another way that does not involve changing the font is to define a
fontset using that font as the base:

(set-default-font (create-fontset-from-ascii-font "FONTNAME"))

or to have newly created frames use the font:

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist
             `(font . ,(create-fontset-from-ascii-font "FONTNAME")))

Where FONTNAME should be replaced by the full name of the font, which
on MS-Windows is reported by (w32-select-font) C-x C-e.

--
Jason Rumney