Re: vbb-mode for GNU Emacs

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: vbb-mode for GNU Emacs
Date: 07 Sep 2002 10:09:45 +0900

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu>
writes:
> And since `XEmacs' is a single word, it is clearly distinct from `Emacs',
> so there's no need for anything like `GNU' to disambiguate ;-)

Yeah, but `emacs' is also a valid generic term referring to the both,
and even if you consider `Emacs' to be more specific, relying on
capitalization is a bit dodgy.

In contexts where the two terms are used in very close proximity so that
the comparison is obvious, e.g., `Emacs and XEmacs', then I think the
meaning is obvious, but if you use `Emacs' in isolation, or physically
distant from the corresponding `XEmacs', it's often not clear what the
intent is.

[Of course, it also depends on how knowledgable your audience is.]

In other words, it's a mess; I never know what to write...  :-)

-Miles