override defcustom

From: Bruce Ingalls
Subject: override defcustom
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 02:53:37 GMT

Kai-
Thanks for sticking with me on this one.
It appears my previous post did not make it.

EMacro <url: http://emacro.sf.net/ > is designed to make
Emacs/XEmacs easy to set up and use out of the box.

I don't like the system default setting of
        font-lock-maximum-decoration = nil
on older Emacsen. (Actual value is for argument's sake, there
are other variables I wish to set). Further, I do not wish to
force EMacro's defaults, which override the system defaults,
upon users. Beginning users should be able to do M-x customize,
or the menu equivalent (to override EMacro's override).

What can I do about it?
I can:

1) Give users instructions to customize these variables, with
every installation.

This defeats the purpose of EMacro, which is to save work.

2) Put setq()s in a preferences.el file.

This expects that users will ignore the nice Options menu, and
always be aware to edit this file, instead

3) Create an emacro customization group, and duplicate settings.

As you said, duplication is bad.

4) Ship emacs.el and xemacs.el files, with the custom-set-variables()
commands already set.

I've avoided sending my saved customizations, but this seems the
smoothest solution.