Re: Two questions

From: Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany
Subject: Re: Two questions
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:16:57 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 09 Sep 2002 09:54:20 +0200 (CEST), "Frank Winkler @home"
>>>>> <frank@consol.de> said:

Frank> HI there !
Frank> I'm just playing around with my programming modes - I use them with both
Frank> emacs and xemacs. After exchanging the "*-mode.el" files it seems obvious
Frank> that xemacs' syntax highlighting is not configured there: emacs inherits
Frank> indention but doesn't do highlighting. It that xemacs-only or where do I
Frank> have to set this?

What kind of modes? Selfwritten? What modes? Identation configuration is not
done allways in the same way.

Both emacs and xemacs come along with support of all kinds of programming
modes.  Take a look at the info docs.

Frank> And is there an enhanced "auto-fill-mode" which doesn't just reformat a
Frank> single line but keeps an entire paragraph trimmed? This would be
convenient
Frank> for editing plain text files.

For plain text files see "M-q". C-mode supports M-q for identing whole blocks
the right way.

ESC q runs the command fill-paragraph
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `textmodes/fill'.
(fill-paragraph ARG)

Fill paragraph at or after point.  Prefix ARG means justify as well.
If `sentence-end-double-space' is non-nil, then period followed by one
space does not end a sentence, so don't break a line there.
the variable `fill-column' controls the width for filling.

If `fill-paragraph-function' is non-nil, we call it (passing our
argument to it), and if it returns non-nil, we simply return its value.

If `fill-paragraph-function' is nil, return the `fill-prefix' used for
filling.

     Hth -- Peter

--
Consultant der CLASS AG   http://www.class.de