Re: Two questions

From: Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany
Subject: Re: Two questions
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:42:06 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 09 Sep 2002 19:33:20 +0200 (CEST), "Frank Winkler @home"
>>>>> <frank@consol.de> said:

Frank> On Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:16:57 +0200, Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems,
Frank> Germany wrote:

Frank> [...]

Frank> At the moment, I'm talking about the default modes (C, Perl, etc.) and
Frank> my attempts to customize them. But I didn't find the code which
Frank> recognizes the commands and sets the colors; is this hard-coded?

Nope, like allways in Emacs: You can modify nearly everything to fit your
needs. Check the info docs for "font-lock".  Font-lock-mode is activated for
example globally with

    (global-font-lock-mode 1)

Frank> [...]

Frank>  Y
>> ESC q runs the command fill-paragraph which is an interactive
>> compiled Lisp function in `textmodes/fill'.
>> (fill-paragraph ARG)

Frank> Cool stuff! :) Didn't know that - but is there a way to do this
Frank> dynamically, without explicitly triggering a command? The dumbest mail
Frank> editor can do that so I'm sure emacs can ...

Take a look at the documentation of auto-fill-mode. This is somehow automatic
like that what M-q does.  Take a look at "C-x ." (set-fill-prefix) and "C-x f"
(set-fill-column).

Frank> [...]

Hth -- Peter

--