Beginners question

From: John
Subject: Beginners question
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 20:18:19 +0100

I started off with GNU/Linux last year, and initially started learning
Vi/Vim, as that was what was recommended and was also on my rescue
disk.

However, I have since learnt that Emacs wiil do everything, and if
theres something it doesn't do it's because no-one needs it yet. During
my initial blundering about in Emacs (while waiting for the books to
arrive), I'm sure I saw a Mayan Calendar! Was I right? If so what is it
for?
        a) it's still used in Central America?
        b) it's for use by historians/archaeologists?
        c) someone just fancied the challenge of writing it?

I really curious about this one, so any help wil be greatly appreciated.
--
John