Backup-by-copying

From: Arthur Chereau
Subject: Backup-by-copying
Date: 11 Sep 2002 01:49:23 -0700

Hi,

I would like the files I edit with emacs to keep their permissions and
inode.

In the default configuration, emacs keeps the permissions, but
exchange the inodes of the file and the backup file each time the file
is edited.

When using backup-by-copying, the inode and permissions of the
/backup/ file is preserved, but the permissions and inode of the file
change. That means if I edit a script with emacs, backup-by-copying
being activated, the file will always return to 644 after I edit it.

I think it would be more useful if the permissions and inode of the
file were preserved instead of those the backup file.

Is that a bug or a feature ?