RE: register use

From: Bingham, Jay
Subject: RE: register use
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:33:53 -0500

Richard,

You do not say what it is that you are trying to do with the registers.  The general tone of the responses assumes that you are trying to use the registers programmatically.  On the chance that that is not what you want to do I offer the following information:

There are several functions already present in emacs that store various kinds of information in the registers, e.g.: copy the contents of a region to a register and copy the contents of a register to the buffer.  You can obtain a complete list of these functions via the help apropos (C-h a).  Which displays a list of all the interactive functions (i.e. commands) that match a regular _expression_ entered at a prompt, as well as a description of how to invoke them and what they do.

To see the list/descriptions of the commands containing “register” in the name type: C-h a register

Good luck.

-_

J_)

C_)ingham

.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Product Assurance

.    Austin, TX

. Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.

. Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.          -Dr. George W. Crane-