Re: Experiences with new cygwin port of GNU Emacs 21.2

From: Klaus Berndl
Subject: Re: Experiences with new cygwin port of GNU Emacs 21.2
Date: 16 Sep 2002 12:11:37 +0200

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, maierh@myself.com wrote:

Thanks a lot for this detailed explanation. One question still remains:
The cygwin setup offers in the package list 3 emacs related packages:

- emacs
- emacs-el
- emacs-X11

Ok, emacs-el is clear if i want the elisp sources. But i took a look into the
contents of the *emacs* packages on
http://www.cygwin.com/packages/emacs/emacs-21.2-8 and it seems there are also
binaries?!

But the package *emacs-X11* contains also a binary (see
http://www.cygwin.com/packages/emacs-X11/emacs-X11-21.2-8).

Ok, now i do not understand you completely when you say "..and you need always
an Xserver...":
What are the differences between the binaries in the packages *emacs* and
*emacs-X11* and for which i need a X-Server?

Does the XFree cygwin-packages work well with Emacs and what is the mentioned
XWin.exe (where to get?).

Many thanks in advance,
Klaus

--