Re: emacs(client|server) vs. gnu(client|server)

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: emacs(client|server) vs. gnu(client|server)
Date: 17 Sep 2002 14:13:06 +0100

  Sven> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai
  Sven> =?iso-8859-15?q?Gro=DFjohann?=) writes:

  >> Both started from the same base and then diverged.  gnuclient can
  >> contact an Emacs running on another host for editing files.

  Sven> Talking about which: I normally sit in front of kogs31, and
  Sven> have gnuclient set up in such a way that if I am logged into
  Sven> another machine (kogs2, say) via ssh, if I edit a file there
  Sven> an emacs frame pops up on kogs31.

  Sven> So far so well.  But yesterday I then moved bodily to kogs2,
  Sven> and needed to edit something on the display of kogs2.  I
  Sven> _thought_ I would be able to use gnuclient to signal the emacs
  Sven> on kogs31 to open a window on kogs2 to let me edit, but not
  Sven> so.  So, does this mean that the above can not be done, or
  Sven> only that I am to dump to understand the manual?

gnuclient can do this I think, with the -h parameter, to specific the
hostname. But you have to be careful because gnuclient allows
execution of arbitrary lisp on the server emacs, which means arbitrary
processes on the server machine.

The easiest way to get this to work is just to stick "ssh kog31" in
front of the gnuclient call....

At least if I understand what you are asking correctly.

Cheers

Phil