Re: Q: How to copy a string in a text into a variable?

From: gnuist
Subject: Re: Q: How to copy a string in a text into a variable?
Date: 18 Sep 2002 11:07:56 -0700

Eric Marsden <emarsden@laas.fr> wrote in message

> the buffer-substring function allows you to access the characters
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> between certain positions in a buffer

This was what I am looking for. But you have a number of pearls or
possibly bugs that I could not verify. Specifically, I am interested in a
dissection of the regular expression

>         (when (looking-at "[A-Z]\\{3\\}[0-9]+")

and the conundrum is in \\{3\\}, a construct, which has no reference in
the info page on emacs regular expressions.

You may as well explain the wisdom in the use of

    (save-excursion         ; ???
      (save-match-data      ; ???

which I fail to see despite seeing description on them.

Thanks a lot!!!!