cvs problem

From: Karl Schmid
Subject: cvs problem
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:28:36 +0200

Hello!

I try to commit an edited file from emacs 21.1.1 under RedHat Linux

When I enter: C-x v v, add a change comment, enter C-c C-c, I get the
following error message:

You have no controlling tty.  Cannot read passphrase.
cvs [commit aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if
any)

This error obviously has something to do with the CVS and ssh settings.

HOWEVER: When I commit the same file from the commandline, I have no
problems at all commiting it, because the CVS settings are correct.

We have another server with Emacs 21.1.1 installed. From this server, CVS
from within emacs works fine.

My conclusion is that some of the Emacs settings on this machine must be
incorrect. I have browsed through newsgroups and the manuals, but have not
found a solution.

Has anyone an idea where I should start troubleshooting or even a
*solution*?

Thanks!

-- Karl
schmid@ice.mpg.de