Bug in mail-extract-address-components (mail-extr.el)?

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Bug in mail-extract-address-components (mail-extr.el)?
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:25:35 +0200

In Gnus, I use a `message-citation-line-function' that extracts the
full name of the previous poster with the function
`mail-extract-address-components' [1]:

,----[ C-h f mail-extract-address-components RET ]
| mail-extract-address-components is a compiled Lisp function in `mail-extr'.
| (mail-extract-address-components ADDRESS &optional ALL)
|
| Given an RFC-822 address ADDRESS, extract full name and canonical address.
| Returns a list of the form (FULL-NAME CANONICAL-ADDRESS).
| If no name can be extracted, FULL-NAME will be nil.
| [...]
`----

Recently I noticed, that the function fails for the following From:
line (which seem to be correct according to RFC-822):

| From: "Harald H.-J. Bongartz" <bongie@gmx.net>

Instead of "Harald H.-J. Bongartz" I get "Harald H.":

ELISP> (require 'mail-extr)
mail-extr
ELISP> (setq email "\"Harald H.-J. Bongartz\" <bongie@gmx.net>")
"\"Harald H.-J. Bongartz\" <bongie@gmx.net>"
ELISP> (setq data (mail-extract-address-components email))
("Harald H." "bongie@gmx.net")
ELISP> (car data)
"Harald H."

The error is reproducible with Emacs 21.1 and Emacs from CVS (last
week). The problem seems to be the "-":

ELISP> (car (mail-extract-address-components
  "\"Harald H. J. Bongartz\" <bongie@gmx.net>")
"Harald H. J. Bongartz"

Is this a bug in `mail-extract-address-components' or should I use a
different function to get the full name?

Bye, Reiner.

[1] My function is based on a suggestion of François Fleuret in
--
       ,,,
      (o o)