Re: how to avoid filling KILL RING with junk

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: how to avoid filling KILL RING with junk
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 23:36:49 GMT

In article <m2sn00vhyn.fsf@localhost.purdue.edu>,
Deepak Dinesh  <sigserv@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Barry Margolin <barmar@genuity.net> writes:
>
>> In article <slrnaohrn5.les.ignoramus6776@nospam.invalid>,
>> Igor6776 <ignoramus6776@NOSPAM.6776.invalid> wrote:
>> >When I delete words and regions in my xemacs 21.4, it puts theninto the
>> >kill ring.
>>
>> Most users consider this a good thing.  It makes it easy to get things back
>> that you delete, although I suppose the advent of unlimited undo's has made
>> this less important than it was in the old days.
>

>What about the mini-buffer window?  I don't think anyone wants to use
>killed words from that in any of the main buffers.  Is there any way
>to turn that off?

Actually, I sometimes do.  For instance, an easy way to get the filename of
the current buffer into the file is with:

C-x C-v C-k C-g C-y

Also, when doing things like query-replace, I'm very likely to do some
kills while typing the old string and yank them into the new string.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA