Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting

From: Charles Muller
Subject: Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:29:47 +0900 (JST)

Jesper Harder wrote:

> > I'm trying to make my emacs (GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 on linux) auto-recognize
> > the right encoding when visiting files with utf-8 encoding.

Sorry to mention TEI-Emacs again, but its superior ability to identify
document encodings (especially Unicode) is one of things that I
like best about it.

http://www.tei-c.org/Software/tei-emacs.tar.gz

>Does it work if you say `M-x prefer-coding-system utf-8' ?
> If it doesn't, you can open a file using a specified coding system with:
>  `C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-f'

I had also tried these strategies, and they will allow you to edit a
document as UTF-8, but AFAICT they don't solve the problem of having Emacs
recognize these encodings automatically.

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@gol.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary
[http://www.acmuller.net]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787