Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting

From: Charles Muller
Subject: Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 17:59:24 +0900 (JST)

Miles Bader asked:

>I'm sure, but saying `download an entirely new version of emacs' is a
>rather heavyweight solution.

As I understand it, it is not an entirely new version, in the sense that it
does not replace the basic program files for Emacs itself. But it supplies
its own version of Mule-UCS, and everything concerned with doing
XML/HTML/XSLT in international environments.

> If they've hacked emacs to do a better job of this, how did they do it?
> Did they ever try to submit their changes back to emacs?

I am not a member of the TEI Consortium, so I can't answer this. Certainly,
all the source code for what they've done is readily and openly available
for anyone interested.

All I know is that before I began to use this package, when doing mail in
Emacs (21.2), there was never any automatic recognition of any kinds of
non-Western encoding. Now it recognizes Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and
whatever, whether these be in the local encoding (JIS, Big5, etc.) or
Unicode, without me having to do "prefer-coding-system" or anything like
that. As a person working in several languages, Emacs would be of very
little use to me without this.

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@gol.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary
[http://www.acmuller.net]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787