Re: how to open an uninstalled info file from within emacs

From: Klaus Berndl
Subject: Re: how to open an uninstalled info file from within emacs
Date: 24 Sep 2002 15:23:55 +0200

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>    in my quest to now learn elisp, i wanted to read "programming in
>  emacs lisp (2nd ed.)", using the info form of that doc.  i've already
>  figured out that, when i'm in regular emacs, i can open up an info
>  document with "C-h i" and, conveniently, if there are elisp expressions,
>  i can execute them with "C-x C-e".
>
>    however, the info form of the document i want to read, while it is
>  downloadable from www.fsf.org, is not part of the installed info
>  library on my latest version of red hat.
>
>    so, from within emacs, how can i open in info mode a specific
>  info file that i've downloaded from the net?  (short of installing
>  it, that is; i want to be able to do this to arbitrary info files
>  that i might download from arbitrary locations.)
>
>    am i making any sense here?

If i understand you right you do not want install these info-files in any path
where Emacs searches autom., right?!

If yes, then just press "C-u C-h i" instead of just "C-h i" and you will be
asked for the filename of an info-file to open.

Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl                    mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG                         http://www.sdm.de