problem with easymenu :filter submenus in Emacs 20.7

From: Neil W. Van Dyke
Subject: problem with easymenu :filter submenus in Emacs 20.7
Date: 24 Sep 2002 18:42:05 -0400

When I use the standard `easymenu' package to add to the menu-bar a menu
with a `:filter' submenu under FSF Emacs 20.7, selected actions on the
parent menu are executed as the user would expect, but selected actions
on the submenu are not executed.

This code reproduces the problem:

(require 'easymenu)

(defvar my-menu)
(easy-menu-define my-menu
                  (current-global-map)
                  "My Docstring"
                  '("My Menu"
                    ["Alpha"   (my-action 'alpha)]
                    ["Bravo"   (my-action 'bravo)]
                    ["Charlie" (my-action 'charlie)]
                    ("Submenu" :filter my-submenu-filter)))

(defun my-submenu-filter (menu)
  (easy-menu-filter-return
   (easy-menu-create-menu "My Submenu"
                          '(["Delta"         (my-action 'delta)]
                            ["Echo (Symbol)" my-action-echo]
                            ["Foxtrot"       (my-action 'foxtrot)]))))

(defun my-action (&rest args)
  (interactive)
  (insert (format "{my-action %S}" args)))

(defun my-action-echo ()
  (interactive)
  (insert "{my-action-echo}"))

What am I doing wrong?

My current need is for porting to FSF Emacs 20 a package that is already
working under FSF Emacs 21 and XEmacs 21.

Thanks,
Neil