Re: To Byte Compile or not Byte Compile...that is the question

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: To Byte Compile or not Byte Compile...that is the question
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:54:18 GMT

In article <amsls6$3u8$1@tilde.itg.ti.com>,
Javier Oviedo <email_joviedo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I have a relatively small site-lisp directory, holding about 20 files.
>
>Does Byte compiling those files improve performance in any noticeable way?

The number of files is irrelevant, what matters is how often the functions
they define are used, and how big those functions are.

Byte compiling generally can't hurt, it can only help, so there's little
reason *not* to compile them.  The only excuse I can think of would be that
you might forget to recompile after making a change, so users would
continue to load the old version.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA