Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting
Date: 27 Sep 2002 10:42:51 +0900

Charles Muller <acmuller@gol.com> writes:
> > However, your original complaint seemed to indicate that CJK
> > support doesn't work in general, not only in UTF-8 encoded files,
>
> "Seemed to indicate"?  What are you talking about?  This entire thread
> has had "utf-8" in the subject line, and I have mentioned it in every
> single message.

The original thread (and thus the `utf-8' in the subject header) was
about emacs `not recognizing utf-8 files,' and the message made it clear
that it was non-CJK utf-8 files that were being talked about (and that
emacs could read them correctly with a bit of assistance).

You then recommended that he use `TEI emacs,' and I asked how they did
a better job of auto-recognition.

You then said `when doing mail in Emacs (21.2), there was never any
automatic recognition of any kinds of non-Western encoding' -- no
mention of utf-8, and as far as I could see, the topic was about
encoding recognition in general, not specifically about utf-8
(the `any kinds of non-Western encoding' being a prime reason for this
-- there are things besides utf-8...).

Only later did you make a post which made it clear that you were talking
about CJK utf-8 support (which indeed emacs does not currently have).

A hint for using netnews:  Topics drift, and subject headers are often
inaccurate in followup postings (and so people tend to disregard them).

-Miles
--
Ich bin ein Virus. Mach' mit und kopiere mich in Deine .signature.