Re: How to edit compilation-error-regexp-alist in .emacs file?

From: Siegfried Heintze
Subject: Re: How to edit compilation-error-regexp-alist in .emacs file?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:37:42 -0600

Well the setcdr and setcar are kinda ugly but they work. I agree, it would
be more readable to just push new values on. I'll change that in the future.

Anyway, to recognize the error messages produced by the apache xerces-j I
have to open my .emacs file, double click on the progn statement (shown in
the fragment of code I initially posted in this thread), paste it into the
alt-shift-: minibuffer and execute it. Then I can use c-x` to jump to the
errors. Can I automate this process of altering the variable
compilation-error-regexp-alist?

I saw the code in the perl module so I just pasted it into my .emacs and it
is not producing any error messages but it is not working either. My code in
the progn statement seems to work as long as it is not executed directly in
my .emacs file (which apparently tries to execute before the
compilation-error-regexp-alist variable has been created).

I don't want to use the require statement because that would require
compile-mode be loaded at that time and I would like to defer that,
especially if I never use it.

If I try to execute in my .emacs file, it complains that there is no such
variable compilation-error-regexp-alist.