Re: CVS password

From: Richard V. Molen
Subject: Re: CVS password
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:10:49 GMT

> pocm@mega.ist.utl.pt (Paulo J. Matos) writes:

> >> By using private/public keys and the ssh-agent feature, you don't
> >> need to type the password every time, it is sufficient to tell it
> >> once to the ssh-agent.
> >
> > How can I do that?
>
> Well, this group is about Emacs, not about ssh.  And I'm short on
> time.  So I suggest to read the man page on ssh-agent ("man
> ssh-agent").  If that isn't sufficient info, I'm sure some other
> group will help, or maybe someone else on this group.

While Kai is right, I can feel your pain.  First ssh-agent uses
passphrases, I don't know if this works with passwords.  Here's how
I start ssh-agent from a bash prompt...

exec ssh-agent $SHELL

...this replaces your current bash session with the ssh-agent which in
turn spawns(?) a bash shell.  Everything that is run from this new
shell have the benefit of not needing a passphrase.  But before that
you need to run 'ssh-add' and enter the passphrase once.  Then you
can, for example, run 'startx &' to start a GUI that needs no
passphrases.

Here's the FAQ... great place to start.  Hope this helps.

http://www.employees.org/~satch/ssh/faq/ssh-faq-1.html

Richard V. Molen

Warning!!
Signature under construction, safety glasses required.