FTP Attempts to Connect Via SSH or rlogin

From: David Wheeler
Subject: FTP Attempts to Connect Via SSH or rlogin
Date: 28 Sep 2002 12:53:13 -0700

I've just compiled Emacs from CVS (checked-out about 0300 GMT today)
and am trying to use FTP to connect to a virtual ftp server I have
running on a host. I'm using this to try to connect:

  /ftp:username@hostname#2121:/

When I do this, I see the message "tramp: Waitin 60s for propmt from
remote shell". This tells me that Emacs is attempting to connect via
SSH or rlogin rather than FTP. Note that the hostname does not start
with "ftp". Yes, I do need to connect to port 2121. Am I doing
something wrong?

TIA,

David