Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?

From: Clemens Fischer
Subject: Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 02:03:01 +0200

> Emacs might not auto-detect UTF-8 out of the box.  Does it work if
> you say C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-f /path/to/the/file RET?
>
> If it is important, I'm sure it's possible to find out how to improve
> UTF-8 autodetection in Emacs.

oh, i'd say this is very important.  for example, i get GPG encoded
messages where the same funny characters are displayed the OP talked
about (one funny character plus the normal character one expects to
see).  this may well be a defficiency in GPG (mailcrypt in my case):
i get the cryptogram from an emacs in one characterset, which gets
lost in transmission, and gets decoded 1:1 from the perspective of the
sender.  which turns out to be wrong on my receiving side.

but actually, i didn't understand a thing what you and hilarious ilya
talked about.  what's a glyph other than what a character looks like,
anyway?  isn't it a picture of a character?

clemens