Re: Emacs configuration

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: Emacs configuration
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 19:01:38 +0200

"arthur.chereau" <arthur.chereau@voila.fr> writes:

> I'm configuring emacs 21.2 and there are some things I can't find any
> doc about, so I'm asking you:
>
> - How is it possible to configure the action done by the printer icon?
>   I'd like it to call a2ps-buffer.

I don't know the command `a2ps-buffer' -- do you mean `ps-print-buffer'?

You can change the command from `print-buffer' to `ps-print-buffer' like
this:

   (setf (nth 3 (assoc 'print-buffer tool-bar-map)) 'ps-print-buffer)

> - How is it possible to force emacs to confirm when killing the
>   *scratch* buffer ?

(save-excursion
  (set-buffer "*scratch*")
  (make-local-variable 'kill-buffer-query-functions)
  (setq kill-buffer-query-functions
        (list (lambda ()
                (if (buffer-modified-p)
                    (y-or-n-p "Really kill buffer? ")
                  t)))))

> - Is there any means of having only one emacs process running for all
>   the emacs windows ? I mean, not like emacsclient or gnuserv,

Why not?  This is exactly what they're meant for.

> - Last, is it possible to put all the configuration files under a
> ~/.emacs/ directory, containing the .emacs file and the contents of
> the ~/ .emacs.d/ directory ?

You can set `user-init-file' in your site-start.el file to tell Emacs
where to look for .emacs.