Re: remote X11/GNU emacs/ssh: Incredible slowness loading libs

From: Krishnakumar B
Subject: Re: remote X11/GNU emacs/ssh: Incredible slowness loading libs
Date: 30 Sep 2002 18:08:07 -0500

On Monday, 30 September 2002, "David Abrahams" wrote:

> No need to get nasty. It's hard to know what information people will find
> relevant.

Sorry if I sounded rude. Running an X application on a non-native X server
like Exceed always has problems related to fonts.

> > I have also had slowdowns with running Emacs 21 when X is enabled. This
> > happens when I try connecting to the remote machine using rxvt (shipped
> > with Cygwin).
>
> I'm not using rxvt, to my knowledge.

What terminal are you using ?

> > Try switching your SSH client (for example use PUTTY's terminal
> > window).
>
> Do you really think that's the culprit, considering that I have no
> problems with "emacs -nw" run in an xterm window?

Since I have exact symptoms that you posted and it works for me when I do
this, I suggested this. It's up to you.

> I also have no problems running emacs over ssh outside X11, in a regular
> cygwin window.

What does "outside" mean ?

> > I don't know what is causing the slowdowns in the case when I login
> > using plink -ssh <hostname>
>
> plink?

It's the command-line utility that ships with Putty.

> > and then start Emacs as to using a separate terminal window. Maybe
> > something to do with tty initialization. FWIW, I tried using the
> > Windows command shell and it works like a charm.
>
> The windows command shell always works, but usually not like a charm. What
> were you using it for?

To login to a remote machine and start Emacs on the remote machine and have
it display using an X server running on the local windows machine.

> > > 2. Wouldn't know how to use it if I could find it
> > > 3. Wouldn't know how to interpret the results
> >
> > tcpdump is too much for this unless you want to get to the root of the
> > problem.
>
> I wouldn't mind, if it resulted in a useful bug report to the GNU emacs
> developers.

Again it's up to you. If you have the time, I am sure that the GNU Emacs
developers will appreciate the extra information.

-kitty.