Re: remote X11/GNU emacs/ssh: Incredible slowness loading libs

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: remote X11/GNU emacs/ssh: Incredible slowness loading libs
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:13:51 -0400

"Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote in message
news:anaqu3$arjl0$1@ID-125932.news.dfncis.de...
> Oops! "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams@rcn.com> was seen spray-painting on
a wall:
> > I'm using xterm to launch emacs, but I'm confused by your question
> > because I can't see how it's relevant. The slowdowns only occur when
> > emacs isn't running in a terminal window.
>
> There always was a "traditional 17 second pause" whilst Netscape
> Navigator loaded when it ran an X request to do a (pointless and
> spurious) list of every font available on the X server.
>
> Perhaps there's something in the Emacs startup that is doing something
> similar to this, requesting all fonts or some such thing, that would
> lead to a big pause at start time.
>
> I'm not sure that's the answer, but it is the sort of thing that would
> be:
>  a) Not totally obvious, and
>  b) In keeping with the symptoms...

Yeah, but wouldn't you think it'd be content to ask for this list just once?
17 seconds seems like heaven to me. It seems like it goes through this delay
each time a file type is loaded which causes an as-yet-unused editing mode
to be started.

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting
dave@boost-consulting.com * http://www.boost-consulting.com