Re: remote X11/GNU emacs/ssh: Incredible slowness loading libs

From: Richard V. Molen
Subject: Re: remote X11/GNU emacs/ssh: Incredible slowness loading libs
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 16:59:23 GMT

"David Abrahams" <david.abrahams@rcn.com> writes:

> Looks like someone sent me the real answer (enclosed).

I couldn't read your attachment. :-(  Was there something there I missed?

> > My workarounds?
> >
> > 1. Get/Use Tramp, misquoting a fellow newsgrouper, "Its *&^%$#@!
> >    fantastic!"
>
> I'll look for it. I'm a little worried it won't do what I want, though: I
> need to do remote compilation and debugging. When there's an error, I want
> C-x-` to take me to the correct place in the remote file. I need to be able
> to CVS checkout, etc... though I guess I could edit those files on my local
> machine if they'll get moved transparently.

  In case you haven't already found it.  Here's the Wiki page for Tramp & other
  stuff...
  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?TrampMode

  Or this might be faster...
  http://ls6-www.informatik.uni-dortmund.de/~grossjoh/emacs/tramp.html

  There is a tramp-compile command that I've used to do remote grepping.
  C-h a <ret> tramp shows among other things...

  tramp-compile                 M-x tramp-compile RET
    Command: Compile on remote host.

--
Richard V. Molen

Warning!!
Signature under construction, safety glasses required.